Taxi drivers play an important role of the transportation industry especially in big American cities. Top taxi companies are currently hiring drivers abroad to cope with the 20% increase in taxi jobs nation wide.1 With average hourly rates of $19.56 and up to $27.53 for some cities this is an opportunity not to be missed.2 Use a simple online search to find jobs available in America right now.
Becoming A Taxi Driver In America
Picking up customers and taking them to a destination for a fee has been a core industry for developing cities since the invention of automobiles. Major cities like New York, Los Angeles, Houston and Boston rely heavily on taxis to shuttle citizens to their required destinations. The path to becoming a taxi driver in the USA is easier then most expect with the majority of taxi drivers being migrant workers.
Checklist of Being A Taxi Driver
With a low barrier to entry being a taxi driver is a great pathway for people into a career. In fact it can take as little as a few weeks to become a taxi driver if you have the following.
- Drivers License – Holding a valid drivers license from your original country and then passing a USA drivers license test.
- Taxi License – is a must for getting behind the wheel. MAny people begin working for companies that hold a license and eventually can become private contractors after building up funds to run their own business.
- Car – Any car that adheres to the safety and maintenance standards can be used as a taxi. This is supplied by the company you’re working for if you’re not a private taxi driver.
- Insurance – Taxi drivers must have an insurance cover equal to or greater then the state minimums. This is taken out by the company that has employed you unless you’re a private driver.
- Clean Driving Record – Need to not have any drink driving records or big accidents which may effect your chances of landing a taxi driver job in America.
Which Cities Have Highest Demand?
With wait times 50% longer then normal these cities have been trying to hire taxi drivers to fulfil the demand.
- New York City
- San Francisco
- Las Vegas
Best Things About Being A Taxi Driver
- Meeting New People – Working as a taxi driver is notoriously a great way to meet new people. Taxi drivers are widely known as the go to people for information about other cities and countries.
- Learning To Navigate Cities – Taxi drivers must be able to navigate their way around a city to deliver you where you want to go. Learning how to read maps, multi task and multitask is a great skill that can be used by many professions.
- Consistent Work – Taxi drivers are consistently busy. There is usually no need to take a vacation as there customers are always on the move.
- Map Reading Skills – Taxi drivers must be able to navigate themselves around a city. In most larger cities taxi drivers are required to pass tests on the layout of their city before obtaining a taxi license.
- Knowledge Of Local Culture – Taxi drivers are often the go to for information about local area’s and areas near by. They must be able to find their way easily in order to take you where you want to go.
- Multitasking – Taxi driving is often described as the art of multitasking.
- Communication Skills – Taxi drivers must be able to communicate with customers clearly in order to take you to your destination. They must be able to understand your accent and respond quickly.
- Patience – Taxi driver must have a great deal of patience as they deal with some people who are not easy to deal with. They may be rushed, angry, drunk or all three.
- Driver skills – Taxi drivers must have the ability to control their vehicle in a speedy and under control manner in order to avoid accidents on the road.
Which Drivers License?
If you’re a foreigner in America you must have a International Driving Permit or IDP. An IDP is a form of identification that many countries around the world recognize. It translates your identification into 10 languages and allows you to drive legally in a different country.3
Work Visa Approval?
To receive a work visa for the USA you will first require a job offer from an employer in the USA. Without a job offer and an employer to sponsor you, you can’t apply for the visa.
Begin Your American Taxi Driver Career
Living in America and working as a taxi driver is a fantastic opportunity not to be passed up. The demand for taxi drivers in many American cities is higher then normal due to the recent pandemic. Top companies are rapidly hiring skilled drivers from abroad to take up taxi driving jobs immediately. If you’re someone who wants to learn more about this opportunity and apply for jobs use a simple online search that will show what is available.