From paying bills to keeping up with family, technology has become a vital part of everyday life. To keep seniors updated and connected these cell phone plans are being offered for free thanks to government initiatives. Search now with your zip code to see if you qualify to receive a free government cell phone plan.
Cell Phones Are Now Necessary For Seniors
With 97% of the population in America owning a cell phone its now become vital to own.1 Senior friendly features are offered on many cell phone devices now so it makes the technology much easier to use. With long battery life, big buttons, bright screens and loud speakers these new devices help seniors dramatically.
Free Government Cell Phone Plans
Because many senior citizens are on fixed income or social security it can be difficult to afford a cell phone. But thankfully initiatives like Lifeline Assistance have been created to benefit those in need. If you’re already enrolled in a government aid program you may already be eligible for a free cell phone and plan. If you’re enrolled in any of the following you can jump the queue to receive a free government cell phone plan:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Tribal-specific programs: Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance,
If you’re not enrolled in any of those programs you will be required to check if your income is below the federal poverty guidelines.
Which Cell Phone Carriers Does This Plan Support?
There is an extensive list of carriers available on the Lifeline program including:
- Assist Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- Easy Wireless
- Infiniti Mobile
- Life Wireless
- Q Link
- SafetyNet Wireless
- Tag Mobile
*There are other carriers available in different states
Which Phones Can You Receive?
Depending on which carrier you choose to use will depend which cell phone can be offered. But here are some basic models which you can receive.
TruConnect Customers: For example if you’re a TruConnect government cell phone plan recipient yo can pick from such smart phones like:
- NUU A3: Android powered smartphone which features a 3.2 megapixel camera, swivel screen and a full physical keyboard.
- ZTE Warp Elite N9518: Gives users a full 3G smartphone experience by featuring a slide out QWERTY keyboard and 5MP camera.
- Samsung Galaxy J3: Great for seniors due to its compact size, touchscreen and physical buttons. To receive this phone you may have to pay a little extra as its a premium phone.
Whats Included In The Government Cell Phone Plan?
Many carriers offered in the Lifeline Assistance Program come with:
- Unlimited Data – Its good to know that the government cell phone plan you’re receiving is unlimited so you don’t have to worry about hitting data caps when using NetFlix or Facebook.
- Unlimited Talk & Text – You can call and message your friends and family all day without getting any extra billing.
- Use Your Existing Number – You can use your existing number to have no hassle in telling your friends and family to update your number.
Why Seniors Need A Cell Phone?
A reliable modern cell phone has many benefits to senior adults. You never know when there may be an emergency and having a cell phone in your pocket is a nice safety mechanism. Capturing your grandchildren with photos on your cell phones helps you keep connected to the new generations. Many seniors especially after the pandemic have felt lonely and isolated so having a cell phone can keep you feeling connected and engaged.2
Other Low Cost Senior Plans
T-Mobile 55+ Plan
One of the original and still best cell phone packages for seniors is T-Mobiles 55+ plan2. This plan comes in three different options and the best one can be discussed between you and a T-Mobile representative.
You receive unlimited calls, texting and online data on all three plans but the difference is added bonuses. If you like to travel then international texting might be your preferred option, perhaps free Netflix for the entertainment lovers. These plans come in at roughly $30 per month and come with the most modern phones such as iPhone or Samsung.
If you’re a senior citizen then you’ve definitely heard of Lively. It’s one of the most recognisable phone plan providers for babyboomers and beyond. Whether you just want to make calls to friends, text loved ones or prefer advanced phone use methods then the Lively Smart Plan may be for you.
Offered on a no-signature, no-contract basis Lively offers plans between $15 per month and $50 per month for more high end devices. If you’re looking for unlimited texts and calling and the new apple iPhone models then it will be more in the $50 per month range.3
With great cross the nation phone coverage you can be sure your phone will not drop out of servicing range. Another note is this provider has a $25 upfront fee for activation unless you catch a Lively special.
Find Your Free Government Cell Phone Plan Today
If you’re on a low income you can receive a free government cell phone plan today. Simply putting in your zip code and following through a questionnaire you can see if your current circumstances are eligible for Lifeline Assistance Program. To see more use this resource.